Over 720,000 volumes of books, journals, government documents, maps, pamphlets, films, and sound recordings from all parts of the South Asian subcontinent are housed in the University of Chicago Library system. Publications are available on all aspects of South Asian life and culture, in all major western languages as well as in over thirty languages from all the nation-states of the subcontinent.
In addition to the Library's on-line catalog (at http://www.lib.uchicago.edu), area-specific informational resources can be found at the Southern Asia Collection website. A subpage of this site offers cataloging for the 21,000 volumes of Official Publications of the Government of India, deposited with the Regenstein by the British Library.
Office of the Southern Asia Collection, Regenstein Library, Room 560. Bibliographer: James H. Nye, firstname.lastname@example.org. Southern Asia Collection staff members are available for consultation in Regenstein 560 Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You are encouraged to consult with the South Asia Librarian, Jim Nye, or Laura Ring, Assistant South Asia Librarian, to discuss research needs for your dissertation project.
Following is a list of South Asia-related materials in the Regenstein Library and elsewhere on and near campus:
South Asia Reference Collection, Regenstein Fifth Floor Reading Room (RR5) on the far east side. This collection includes some 4,000 reference tools for most South Asian subjects (bibliographies, indexes, census volumes, gazetteers, atlases, dictionaries, standard histories, etc.), plus a selection of current journals, and daily newspapers.
South Asia Pamphlet Collection , housed on the south wall of RR5 in vertical files for which a key is available in Room 560 during office hours; collection includes several thousand pamphlets, off prints, unpublished conference papers, reading lists and other ephemera; holdings are listed in special catalog drawers marked by yellow tape in the fifth floor South Asia card catalog.
Map Collection, JRL 370, includes thousands of maps of all parts of South Asia at various scales, and from various periods.
Audio-visual materials. These include 16-mm films, videos, audio cassettes, DVDs, etc. Many are in the Regenstein collection catalogue, especially audio recordings of a wide variety of South Asian music. A few South Asian film resources are available at the Film Studies Center. A small library of audio-visual materials is available for check out to graduate students from the South Asia Outreach Office in Kelly Hall.
The nearby Center for Research Libraries (http://catalog.crl.edu/) holds multiple resources, including films from the important South Asia Microform Project. These can be obtained through Interlibrary Loan, or at the CRL Reading Room itself, at 6050 S. Kenwood Avenue.
South Asia Links at the University of Chicago
- Southern Asia at Chicago The Committee on Southern Asian Studies (COSAS)
- Buddhist Studies at the University of Chicago
- South Asian Students Assocation (SASA)
- South Asian Law Students Association (SALSA)
- Divinity School South Asia Club
- South Asian Business Group at Chicago Booth
- PanAsia Student Association
- Office of Multi-Cultural Student Affairs
- DSAL Digital South Asia Library on Frances Pritchett's website at Columbia University
- South Asia Links on Timothy Lubin's website at Washington and Lee University
- SARAI Columbia University's "South Asia Resource Access on the Internet"
- Indology the Indology mailing list, texts, software, papers, books, links
- John Smith's home page texts, fonts, and programs
- Art Institute of Chicago: Asian Collection
- Archive of Georg Morgenstierne’s materials developed by the National Library of Norway and the Institute of East-European and Oriental languages at the University of Oslo.
- Resources for the Study of Pashto Literature developed by Wilma Heston, University of Pennsylvania
- Richard Strand’s website on Nuristan and the Nuristani languages
- Online South Asian bibliographies from the Indology website
- John Peterson’s bibliography lists of works on seldom-studied and endangered South Asian languages
Electronic Text Repositories
- Virtual e-Text Archive of Indic Texts from the Indology website
- GRETIL Göttingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages
- TITUS Thesaurus Indogermanischer Text- und Sprachmaterialien
- SARIT Search and Retrieval of Indic Texts
Associations and Conferences
- South Asia Graduate Students Conference (SAGSC) at the University of Chicago
- Annual Conference on South Asia at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Association for Asian Studies
- AAS Annual Meeting
- American Oriental Society
- AOS Annual Meeting
Online Dictionaries and Reference Works
- Digital Dictionaries of South Asia
- Online Dictionaries and Thesauri from the Indology website
- Online Urdu Dictionary at CRULP
- Journal of Asian Studies
- Annual of Urdu Studies
- Journal of the American Oriental Society
- Journal of Himalayan Linguistics