- Ph.D. Harvard University, 1979 (Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
- A.M. Harvard University, 1976 (Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
- A.B. Harvard College, 1973 (Magna cum Laude with Highest Honors in Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
Sanskrit language and literature, Indian philosophy, history of Sanskrit linguistic and literary theory.
Sanskrit poetry and poetics; Sanskrit grammatical and commentarial traditions; the history of Vedanta philosophy; connections between philosophy, religion, and literature in Sanskrit culture; the Mahabharata epic.
- Scholastic Sanskrit: A Handbook for Students (with Emery R. Boose), New York, 2007.
Innovations and Turning Points: Toward a History of Kavya Literature(co-edited with Yigal Bronner and David Shulman), OUP Delhi, 2014.
- Sanskrit and the Burden of the Past, forthcoming from Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Works in progress include a translation of the Bhojaprabandhana of Ballala, a sourcebook on Advaita Vedanta philosophy, and an annotated translations of Book 7 (the Drone Parva) of the Mahabharata, as part of the Chicago series of translations from the critical edition of the epic.