- Ph.D. Harvard University, 1979 (Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
- A.M. Harvard University, 1976 (Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
- A.B. Harvard College, 1973 (Magna cum Laude with Highest Honors in Sanskrit and Indian Studies).
Sanskrit language and literature, Indian philosophy, history of Sanskrit linguistic and literary theory.
Sanskrit poetry and poetics; Sanskrit grammatical and commentarial traditions; connections between philosophy, religion, and literature in Sanskrit culture; the Mahabharata epic.
- Scholastic Sanskrit: A Handbook for Students (with Emery R. Boose), New York, 2007.
- Essays on Sanskrit Poetry, Poetics, and Philosophy, forthcoming from Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
- Works in progress include an edition and translation of the Bhojaprabandha of Ballala (to appear as In the Court of King Bhoja in the Clay Sanskrit Library), and an annotated translation of Book 7 (the Drona Parva) of the Mahabharata, as part of the Chicago series of translations from the critical edition of the epic.