Senior Lecturer in Tamil
Office: Foster Hall 211 Fax: (773) 834-3254
Ph.D. University of Chicago
Tamil language; grammar and semantics; second language pedagogy.
Semantics of grammatical categories, structural issues in language and thought, language use and language change in relation to culture and society.
- 1993. "The cremation ground canto" [translated from the Tamil short story by Vannanilavan]. Journal of South Asian Literature, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Winter, Spring 1992).
- 1993. "Pain" [translated from the Tamil short story by Pumani]. Journal of South Asian Literature, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Winter, Spring 1992).
- 1980. With K. Paramasivan. A Basic Tamil Reader and Grammar, 3 vols. [with audiocassettes and/or CDs for both 'written' and 'spoken' varieties of Tamil]. Evanston: Tamil Language Study Association.
- 1980. "A note on the nobility of women in popular Tamil fiction." In Susan S. Wadley (ed.), The Powers of Tamil Women, Syracuse: Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University.
- 1976. "Nested case relations and the subject in Tamil." In Manindra K. Verma (ed.), The Notion of Subject in South Asian Languages, Madison: South Asian Studies Center, University of Wisconsin.
- 1974. "The constraints of grammar, the perception of the relations between sequential events, and speaker strategies." Paper presented at the IIIrd Colloquium on New Ways of Analyzing Variation, Etc., Georgetown University.
- 1972. "Cleft sentences in Tamil and Malayalam." In V. I. Subramoniam (ed.), Proceedings of the First All-India Conference of Dravidian Linguists, Trivandrum: Dravidian Linguistics Association.
- 1969. "Negative-raising and sentence pronominalization." In Robert Binnick et al. (eds.), Papers from the 5th Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, Chicago: Chicago Linguistic Society.